Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Last Library Haul of the Summer - Library Haul #5

So, I kind of haven't posted on this blog since my little update/complaining spree about being in a reading and writing slump for most, if not all, of the summer. But good news! I think that I am finally out of my reading slump! I'm always more motivated to read in the colder seasons, and this morning I woke up at 6:30 just so that I could read with the rain still pounding at the windows. (The things I do for my books. Sheesh.)

(Of course, the bad news for me is that I start school again tomorrow. Whomp, whomp. But the school librarian has asked me to be a library assistant, and I got the classes I wanted, so hopefully this semester turns out alright!)

Recently I visited the library and checked out three books. (There were more I wanted to get, but I restrained myself!) It's a bit of a miniature library haul, but I thought I would just share with everyone the books that I checked out. I'm excited to read them all!

-

City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster was the first book I picked up. I actually hadn't heard of it before, but it sounded really cool. A murder mystery in a diverse fantasy setting with talking cats? That just ticks so many of my 'must read' boxes!
When I looked it up on Goodreads I saw it didn't have the best reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. (I just finished it before writing this post.) I think next time, I will grab the second book in this duology (though it seems to be more of a companion novel) since that one has higher ratings anyway.





The second book I picked up from the library was And I Darken by Kiersten White. This is supposed to be an epic historical fiction retelling of Vlad the Impaler. But in this retold version, Vlad is a girl named Lada.
This has been getting quite a bit of buzz lately, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Plus look at that cover. Look at it. It's so beautiful!
I definitely can't wait to get to this one and see how I like it. I think it's the one I'll end up reading next!




Finally, I decided to check out Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie. This book is about a girl who can feel the emotions and physical pain of the people around her. It's a bit of a bigger book, and I think it might be the first in a series? In a trilogy? Duology? I'm not sure which.
This is another book where people don't seem to like it but I tend to have unpopular opinions to everyone else (oops?) so I hope that I end up at least liking it a bit. (The only problem is that it seems to have a love triangle... sighs.)





-

I hope everyone has been having a great summer/winter (if you're in the opposite hemisphere). Autumn is my favorite season and I am so done with summer already! I can't wait for rain and the colder days and sweaters and pumpkin everything. Thanksgiving is also my favorite holiday, so I'm looking forward to that as well.
Until next time, (which will hopefully be soon!), happy reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!