Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday Reads [#03]

So, it's the last Friday of the school year, and I know I'm excited. But at the same time I'm dreading it because finals next week... and because it's supposed to get above 90 degrees Fahrenheit this weekend and nope. No, no, no. I do not do summer. I do not like it. At all.

This week, I actually read more than I thought I had. The first book I read in one sitting (it was a graphic novel) and that was In Real Life. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas was one I finished just yesterday, which I loved. The ending was maybe a little bit slow, but it was fine. I also read The Heir by Kiera Cass, which I absolutely and totally loved. I read it in one day, of course. I'm thinking of maybe doing a review on one or both of them, so let me know if you're interested.

So what am I currently reading? Good question. I'm reading a book I've been looking forward to for a long, long while, and that is...

Defy by Sara B. Larson!

It's the first in a fantasy trilogy. The first book is about a girl who is forced to dress like a boy and join the prince's personal guard. And let me tell you, I'm ~100 pages in, and this is a great read already! I mentioned in my "Beach Bag" Top Ten Tuesday post that I had been wary of reading this one, because, well, the reviews on Goodreads were not the best...

But I'm so happy to be able to say that I'm enjoying it! It's a page-turner for sure, and the main character is a WOC (although as aforementioned she's disguised as a man) so, yay, diversity!

However, there are some topics in this that might be considered triggering for some people (death, rape, though rape isn't actually shown "on screen") so yeah. I know that's what has been causing a lot of the negative reviews on Goodreads, so if those are triggering for you I'd recommend that you not check out this book.

In other news, BEA was last week and although I did not attend, it's definitely on my bucket list so I love reading or watching all the vlogs, book hauls, and experiences. It looks like such a fun event, if a little overwhelming.

And, non-bookishly, my birthday was last Saturday, so... go me? (I deserve cake. Again.) I got to go to a very large bookstore, and I got a total of three books, plus a $50 gift card to the same place. I'll probably do a book haul on what books I got soon.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!