Monday, September 22, 2014

Happy Hobbit Day!

Image does not belong to me.
Happy Birthday to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!
 
I had to interrupt my usual blogging to make a Bilbo Baggins and Frodo Baggins appreciation post. Both of them have their birthdays on September 22nd, and guess what? That's today! I hope everyone celebrated with a hearty second breakfast.
 
Bilbo Baggins is probably my favorite book character ever, for a lot of reasons. One, his exchanges with Gandalf and everyone else in the Hobbit are really hilarious to read. He just gets so flustered so easily and starts tripping over his words and it reminds me a lot of myself, when I get flustered so I suppose I can connect to him in that way as well.
 
Secondly, do you know how much Tookish courage it must have taken him in order to go on the quest with Thorin and Company? A lot. A whole Smaughoard worth. He's a hobbit, and hobbits are fairly respectable, especially Bagginses, and they don't just go off on random Dragon-slaying, thieving adventures. All Bilbo wanted was to stay comfortably at home. But then his Tookish side awakened. And thank Goodness it did.
 
He changes so much over the course of the book, and I remember even when I was young I loved listening to my Dad read about his journey. Even though Bilbo doubts himself in the start, he continues to persevere. The company would not have succeeded without him.

There are so many more reasons why Bilbo Baggins is my favorite book character, but those are just a few. He proves that no matter your age, your reluctance, your self-esteem, all of us have a Tookish spark in us. And if you are unhappy with your current state, then you can always, always do something a little unexpected.
 
Happy Hobbit Day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!