Sunday, May 31, 2015

May Reading Wrap Up


Wow, I can't believe that tomorrow is going to be the first day of June! This month has flown by, for sure.

This month I read 8 books, and all links lead to Goodreads
----
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare: I don't remember that much about the book because I finished it early in the month, and my Goodreads review was rather vague. I do think it was a solid addition to the series, however, with plenty of surprising twists and turns.

4/5 stars


Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien: I LOVED THIS BOOK. It started out a bit slower than the other two, so I had put it down for around a month, but I decided to pick it back up again this month. And it was totally worth it. The strength of all the characters is inspiring. This book gave me a major book hangover, too. I can't believe I've finished this trilogy.

 5/5 stars


I, Micheal Bennett by James Patterson and Micheal Ledwidge: I started this one during Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon but I never ended up finishing it. Now I did! It was very fast-paced with a cast of relateable and realistic characters. However, some of the parts felt a little bit like "Sound of Music" (spoilers: the ending for example). I'd recommend to anyone who'd like a crime fiction read that's fast paced.

3.25/5 stars

The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski: I marathonned these two books, and did a joint spoiler free review for them, so if you want to do my more in-depth thoughts, make sure to check that out! At a glance, though, I thought they were well-written books with amazing world-building and characters. The romance didn't feel rushed at all, or forced, so that's always a plus as well.

I gave both of these books 4/5 stars


Day 21 by Kass Morgan: This is the sequel to "The 100" (and I think it's a trilogy) and I was SO MAD when I couldn't find the third book, "Homecoming" at my bookstore when I went yesterday. After that ending? Yeah, I needed to continue RIGHT AWAY but nobody has it! Not my school's library, not the bookstore, not my public library...
As for my thoughts on this one, I thought it was so much better than "The 100" but for some reason that's an unpopular opinion? I don't know, I just ended up liking it a lot. Another bookish hangover, as well! I had trouble reading anything for days afterward, and couldn't think about or focus on any other book.

5/5 stars

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare: This is #3 in the Mortal Instruments series and the sequel to City of Ashes, which I read earlier in the month. There were a couple things in this book that I found to be:
a) slow, or
b) disappointing
but overall I thought it was a solid addition to the series and a solid conclusion to what was originally a trilogy.

4.5/5 stars

In Real Life  by Cory Doctorow and Jen Wang: This is a graphic novel, and wow I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did! I picked it up in the bookstore just to read the first few pages, but I was hooked. I read it all in one sitting in the book store itself. It was a super short read, though. I loved the art style of this graphic novel, it was really beautiful, too. And it was relateable for me.

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!