Saturday, May 2, 2015

April 2015 Reading Wrap-Up

Hello, all! My name is Emma and today I have another reading wrap up to share with you.

Last month, I read 7 books. All links lead to Goodreads.
------

Inside the Shadow City (Kiki Strike #1) by Kirsten Miller:  This book had me very conflicted for some strange reason. I mean, it was okay. I liked it. But I didn't really like Kiki Strike, and I felt like the main character wasn't super relatable. It's middle grade, but I still feel like I should have felt some connection. The exposition (first chapter or so) was also very confusing to me. I felt like the book would have benefitted from starting in a different place. However, I loved loved LOVED the diversity in this book! The book had three girls of color (Hispanic, Asian, and African-American) and I really appreciated seeing that in middle grade literature. The side characters were really fleshed out, and I adored Oona, Luz, and DeeDee. I could relate to all three of them and Betty, the other member of the crew. I loved the plot and once I got into it, the writing style was nice.

3.75/5 stars on Goodreads

Atlantia by Ally Condie: This book wasn't about mermaids? I have been deceived? But can I just say THAT COVER. It's gorgeous! Part of the reason (okay, so maybe one of the main reasons) I picked up this book was because of that cover alone. Ally Condie always gets the best covers. I was really looking forward to this one, and it didn't let me down. I liked this much better than Condie's Matched trilogy. This book is a standalone though, so I won't be getting anymore of this world. I felt like the world was super fleshed out and it felt so... alive? I could understand the world perfectly. However, again, I lacked connection to the characters and had a bit of a hard time connecting to Rio, the protagonist. I loved True Beck though!

4/5 stars on Goodreads

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate #1) by Gail Carriger: Hm. I saw someone haul this on a Booktube video once, and it interested me. (Plus, again, I like that cover.) This book was historical sort-of urban fantasy, and it was enjoyable enough. It was an adult novel, and I felt like most of it focused on the romance and physical relationship of the two characters, but the plot was good enough as well. I may or may not continue on with this series, though.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher: Ah. One of the most controversial books of the YA genre. Now, I know what you all are thinking. Most people I encounter hate this book with a fiery passion. That's why I'm really afraid to say that I actually liked this book. I'm not going to get into the content part of it, because I'm afraid of the hate I would get, but I thought the writing style was very fast paced and easy to read and gripping. I read it in about 24 hours.

4.5/5 stars on Goodreads

The Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus #5) by Rick Riordan: SOB. I can't believe this series has come to a conclusion. I was upset that there was no Percy POV, but I did like hearing from Reyna and Nico. I did not like that ending though. I am purposely being vague to avoid spoilers, but HERE is my Goodreads review if you would like my more in-depth feelings and thoughts on this ending and series as a whole.

5/5 stars on Goodreads

Crisis by Robin Cook: I know this is a really random read for me. Adult crime fiction? What? But let me explain. My dad got this at a cheap booksale for like, $3.00? I think? And he gave it to me to read. AND I LOVED IT. Which really, really surprised me. I loved the characters, and how real it all seemed. I don't know much about medical stuff, because, well, I'm not a doctor, but I did like that medical lingo they used. Also the plot twist at the very end! What what what! I thought I had it all figured out and then Robin Cook throws me for a loop! I would recommend reading this book, if only for that ending.

5/5 stars on Goodreads

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare: I think I'm the last person to read this series. That's right, before last weekend I had never read a Cassie Clare book before, despite all the raving reviews on Booktube, on Tumblr, on the Blogsphere. I read this one for the Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon and I. Loved. It. It was so great and I can't believe I hadn't read it before! The world is really intriguing to me, and while I had really high expectations, this book lived up to a lot of them. I also got to read this whilst snuggling my dog during what ended up being my favorite part. The part where they get breakfast in that restaurant. That was just a real nice and well-written scene with lots of fun banter. Lots of fun times.

4.8/5 stars on Goodreads


---


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!