Sunday, June 28, 2015

June Wrap-Up | 2015

So... this month was a bit of a slow reading month for me. The first couple weeks of June were hard because I had final exams, and studying took prioritiy there, so I didn't get a ton of reading done then. After that, it was summer, but I found myself in an awful reading slump, and didn't really start reading again for about a week. That, combined with the fact that I'm a slow reader, meant I didn't get a huge stack of books read this month, but the ones I did read I found very enjoyable!

This month I read 5 books.

The Heir (Selection #4) by Kiera Cass : I actually read this book the last day of May, but I had already posted my May Wrap-Up by the time I had finished it, so I figured I would include it here. Now, this book had been receiving a lot of mixed reviews, mostly leaning towards negative. However, I never doubted that Kiera Cass would do a brilliant job once again. For some reason, I love these books so much. I fly through them. This one was no exception. I read it pretty much in one sitting.

5/5 stars


Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)  by Sarah J. Maas : Now, the first book in this series wasn't my favorite ever, but I thought this second installment more than made up for it. I loved the Chaolena ship in this one, and it was so much darker of a book than I had expected it to be.

4.5/5 stars


Defy (Defy #1) by Sara B. Larson : This book was on my summer TBR and I was so happy to get to this one! It started off really well, and I was entirely engaged in this world. Then, a *POSSIBLE SPOILER* love triangle was introduced *END POSSIBLE SPOILER* and it all went downhill from there. I don't know if I'll be reading the second book or not, but this one more on the "okay" side.

3/5 stars

And... here is where my reading slump set in.

Vixen (Flappers #1) by Jillian Larkin: I had been looking forward to this one for a long time as well! It takes place in the 1920's USA, with flappers, and I've been dying to read a book like this one for ages. I was so happy when my library had it. My favorite thing about this book was just how... I don't know the word for it, but it wasn't this book that was trying to be epic, or have a lot of substantial stuff going down. No. It wasn't like that, and I really appreciated that. It got me out of my reading slump, for the time being. If you're interested, here is my Goodreads review.

4.5/5 stars


Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle #1) by Christopher Paolini : Here is a book I've been meaning to re-read since forever. I have read all but the last book and I've been wanting to marathon all of them, despite their hugeness and epicness and fantasy-ness. Plus, maybe I wanted dragons. I love all the characters in these books and the world and the language and everything. It's always very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, which is, of course, one of my favorite all-time series. I really liked this one.

4.5/5 stars

Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle #2) by Christopher Paolini : Another re-read, obviously. And... I did quite the updates reel with this on Goodreads? I'll link that HERE so you can view my in-depth thoughts. Just click on the "view all status updates". But be forewarned: there be spoilers lurking in the status updates. As for general thoughts, I liked this one better than the first book. It was longer, so it took me quite a bit to read through it all, but was it worth it? I'd say yes.

4.75/5 stars

---

That's all I read in June, and July is looking to be a busy month (vacations and surgery and NaNoWriMo... oh my!) but hopefully I'll get at least three books read next month, and if I do, I'll be happy. Until next time, happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!