Friday, October 30, 2015

Friday Reads [#09]

Hey, people! It's me, back again with another of my favorite posts to write: Friday Reads (also just so you know, I didn't make this up, I think I first saw it on Sam from Novel and Nonsense Booktube channel. She's amazing and I love Sam. But just so I don't accidentally "take credit" for this or anything).

This week I finished The Diviners (The Diviners #1) by Libba Bray, and I liked it a lot! It got me in the spooky Halloween spirit because YIKES. Just, Naughty John. That's all I'll say since I don't want to spoil. It was pretty scary. (Also 1920s!! My favorite!! Give me all the 1920s fantasy books please thank!!)

I liked it so much that I was inspired to pick up Walk on Earth a Stranger (Goldseer Trilogy #1) by Rae Carson. It's a new release that I checked out from my library. It's about a girl named Leah whom has a special gift to sense gold, whether it be a locket, a speck, or a huge vein of gold. And it just so happens to take place during the California Gold Rush. It gives off the same historical-with-magical-powers vibe as The Diviners did, so that's a thing that's cool. I'm around 200 pages in and already liking it more than her other book. So glad this seems to be going well! (not that I disliked her other books, I just personally had a bit of struggle getting into them!)

I have like two other books checked out from my public library and one graphic novel checked out from my school library and one that I'm borrowing from the clubhouse lending-library. So many books, so little time! All of them are so exciting though.

I'm planning on reading the graphic novel on Halloween Night (/NaNoWriMo eve. *squeak*) as I give out candy to trick or treaters because it's supposed to be a terrifying book (Through the Woods by Emily Carroll... has anyone read it? Thoughts?) and what better time to read it than Halloween night, am I right? We'll also be watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown as well as possibly "Punkin Chunkin" (don't ask. It's not as redneck as the title suggests. It's actually quite science-y and was hosted by the MythBusters one year).

My almost-seven year old neighbor also invited our family to the Halloween/Birthday Party he is having tomorrow night, so I (might) be attending that (let's see how high I rank on the 'avoid society' scale tomorrow night, shall we?). I also have a lot of homework to do. (English essay, emailing something to my Spanish teacher, 4 math worksheets, AP Government current events and textbook notes, etc.) and I want to get that done tomorrow so I can have all of Sunday to write! (And also celebrate my dad's birthday because Nov. 1st is his birthday so happy birthday to him!)

Have you ever noticed my Friday Reads post always go out on a tangent and end up a big, rambly, mess of post about my life? Huh. Weird. (Not really though. That was half-sarcasm. I don't even know. It's late and I should stop.)

What are you doing for Halloween? Or NaNoWriMo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!