Friday, October 30, 2015

October Reading Wrap-Up 2015

I actually read quite a good deal more than I expected during October. I finished three graphic novels/comic book bindups, and six novels (three of the novels were rather short, two were rather long, and one was average).

Let's get into it!

---

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - EVERYONE HAS BEEN RAVING AND PRAISING THIS BOOK. Tumblr is in love with it. So... I finally read it! I really liked the characters in this book, and I was so glad the writing went smoother (in my opinion) than the Shiver Trilogy. I couldn't put it down and I am highly invested in Blue's story. This one was so much fun and I read it really fast! ★★★★☆

The Twilight Zone: The After Hours by Mark Kneece with art by Rebekah Isaacs - So, I was bored and randomly found this in my school library's graphic novel section during lunch. And it was so good. I just love the Twilight Zone, what can I say? I feel like the reason I liked it so much was because I haven't seen that episode, so the graphic novel probably doesn't bring anything new to the table. Just in case you were wondering. (Here is my Goodreads Review for more in depth thoughts!)
★★★★☆

Too Late the Phalarope by Alan Paton - So, this was required reading for my English class. And it was so confusing? I could not understand anything. And having to do an assignment for this book caused me an anxiety attack which in turn caused me to miss the supermoon/blood moon eclipse thing which I was SO UPSET about after. I love astronomy and cool moon things. I wanted to see it, darn it!  So overall not a fan. It was important, though, so if you want to read it, I'm not stopping you.
(More Detail in Goodreads Review) ★★☆☆☆

The Twilight Zone: Death's-Head Revisited by Mark Kneece, with art by Chris Lie - Yes, another Twilight Zone Graphic Novel. I'm a little bit in love with the Twilight Zone. But this one was so... creepy? I'm not sure in a good way? It was just a bit off-putting I guess. Bascically, if I had to summon this book up with one song, it would be "Hellfire" from Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was just uncomfortable reading from this guy's point of view cause he was really... not a nice person. He was a Nazi commander and it describes him torturing people. There is blood. Sort of as a warning before.  (My Goodreads Review) ★★★☆☆

I Was Here by Gayle Foreman - This was my first Gayle Foreman book and... I'm not so sure it was the best place to start? I mean, I can definitely tell the writing was awesome. And it made me want to read more of her work (as a non-contemporary fan, that's something!) but, the romance. The romance was just so... uncomfy? It didn't make me feel good and I couldn't ship it. Also, trigger warning suicide for this book. (My Goodreads Review) ★★☆☆☆

Ms. Marvel: No Nonsense  by G. Willow Wilson with art by Adrian Alphona - I'VE BEEN WANTING TO READ THIS FOREVER. And I got even more excited when I got obsessed with everything Marvel this past month. (Thanks, Maddie.) So I finally got it from the library and read it in two sittings. Yay, comic books! I liked this and the art was stunning. I will try to read the next book! The only questionable part about it kinda might spoil something so I won't talk about it, but overall yes. Approve. ★★★★☆

Moonwar by Ben Bova - I got this from the little lending-library I mentioned up above. I wasn't expecting much, admittedly, since I don't read much adult, and I don't read much Sci-Fi. (Guess what this was? An adult sci-fi about a war fought on the moon. It was very political. I liked it. But not really the politics specifically.) The characters were very strong, I thought, and it was just a fun book. I mean, come on, who doesn't want to read about a war fought on the moon? That's awesome! ALSO HE ISN'T AFRAID TO KILL OFF HIS CHARACTERS. I obviously am not adjusted to reading adult because my heart wasn't ready to be parted from all my faves. Why. You cruel man. Trigger warnings for murder, gore, and rape. ★★★★☆

Fairest by Marissa Meyer - AHHH. MARISSA MEYER, YOU GENIUS. I loved this book. It was short, but awesome. Getting into the head of Levana was so weird since she was twisted and truly believed what she was doing was right, which honestly makes a villain scarier. This just made me dislike her even more! If you're looking for a villain sympathy story, avoid this. If you are looking for a book with a twisted villain you love to hate, definitely give this a try. I read it so fast. And I liked it. Like, a lot. ★★★★★

The Diviners by Libba Bray - This was posi-tute-ly the cat's pajamas! I actually own this book and have been waiting specifically for Halloween month to read it. And read it I did! It's a long book but I read it really fast! I just love the 1920s, I love murder mysteries, I love magic... this had it all. Some people say that they don't like Evie, but me? I loved her character! She was just a relatively normal girl, which helped me to relate to her (well, normal minus a couple small details of course... heheh...) Actually, you know what? I liked all the characters (except for maybe Jericho. Not his biggest fan for whatever reason?) I would totally recommend this as a Halloween spooky read. OooOoOooOo. (My GooOoOoodreads Review. Spooky) ★★★★☆

----

I'm probably also going to be reading and finishing Through the Woods by Emily Carroll since I'll be reading that tomorrow, but I can include that in my November Wrap-Up, right? (Right, I say back to myself.)

My favorite books this month were Fairest and the Raven Boys. And maybe the Diviners. I just read so many good books! What was your favorite? Have you read any of the ones I did this month, and what did you think?

Have a GREAT day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!