Friday, October 2, 2015

September Wrap-Up | 2015

Hey everybody. Today I have an update on what I read in the month of September! I didn't read a huge amount for a variety of reasons, but what I did read was generally pretty good! I ventured into the world of comics a bit, finished a series I've been reading since Elementary School and read a new favorite of 2015!
 
This month I read
  • 1 Comic Book Series (equivalent of 3 trade paperbacks)
  • 1 Graphic Novel
  • 4 Books
 
Young Avengers Omnibus by Kieron Gillan, with art by Jamie McKelvie : This was the comic book series I read, based off a recommendation by Engie @ Musings From Neville's Navel whose reccomendations are always super on-point. This was the first comic book series I've read (I think...?) and I read it in one sitting! I was addicted. The art is so awesome, and though I was a tad bit confuzzled at points, that has more to do with my lack of experience than the storytelling itself. I would definitely recommend this as a good starting place for comics! (Also every single main character was queer or implied so, including a canonically bisexual character! Hurrah for diversity!) ★★★★☆
 
 
Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas by Jim Ottaviani with art by Maris Wicks : Okay, so talk about a title. This was the graphic novel I read this month and it was definitely informational! I'm super interested in both Anthropology and Femininism so I thought I would really love this novel! And it was great, a fast and fun read. I think it would be a great addition to any elementary or middle school level classroom. Again, confusing, mostly because of some point of view shifts that weren't quite clear? THE ART WAS SO SUPER CUTE GUYS. I could stare at it all day. *heart eyes because adorable art* ★★★★☆
 
 
Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle #4)  by Christopher Paolini : I can't believe I've been reading this series since elementary school. It's absolutely crazy how long I've been reading these books but finally I can say I've finished them! I had some major problems with the ending of this book, which I go into further (with full warnings before all spoilers) in my Goodreads Review of this book. Overall, I did like it a lot and think it a solid conclusion to the series but again... can't get over the things that irked me! I was really conflicted, but nostalgia overruled on this one. ★★★★☆
 
Court of Fives (Court of Fives #1) by Kate Elliott: I saw this one at the "New Releases" section of my library and instantly pounced to get it before someone else could! This is a young adult Fantasy novel, and even though it was getting mixed reviews I was anxious to read it. And, it was... it was okay. Again, conflicted feelings on this one. I felt some flashbacks to other books I had read, but overall it was a fun time! I did feel like it was very much a set-up book and that hopefully the next books in the series will be stronger. ★★★☆☆
 
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir: OMIGOSH GUYS. I don't know what it was about this book, but something about me and An Ember in the Ashes just clicked. I loved the writing style so much, and I was really invested in the plot the whole time. Also, I had like three different ships. No, make that four. And I loved all of them and I was shipping all the things. Also angst and tension and tears and intensity. I just loved all of it. It's definitely my favorite book of the month, and a new favorite of 2015. ★★★★★
 
Rook by Sharon Cameron : I read this for the Perustopia Book Club which is hosted by abookutopia and PeruseProject on Youtube. I thought this book was interesting, but very very slow. I felt like some parts of the book could have been cut out or shortened. But! There's a but! The romance was slowburn and very cute. I loved the characters and WOW THE WORLD. It was so interesting and I wanted to know more about it! The historical references were so clever and well done and the characters were very dynamic and I loved following their journey. This one was probably a 3.5 but then at the end I just felt so much admiration at this being wrapped up in a standalone and I got emotional over the characters and having to leave them so. CONFLICT. What do I rate it? I ended up on a ★★★★☆
 
Thanks for reading my wrap-up! Have you read any of these books, and what did you think? What was YOUR favorite book of September? Have a great October!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!