Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare | Review

7171637

Title: Clockwork Angel
Series: The Infernal Devices, Book #1
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Historical Fiction/Steampunk/Urban Fantasy
Page Count: 479
Avg. Goodreads Rating: 4.32/5 stars

My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Goodreads Review: Here

This review contains very mild spoilers. (Nothing major.)

REVIEW:

So, I began this book a bit dubious. I had just finished reading City of Lost Souls  and it was the best Mortal Instruments book yet. Now, I knew that going into City of Heavenly Fire right away would be a bad idea because I had heard that spoilers abounded for this trilogy.

So, I decided to read Clockwork Angel next, with high hopes. After all, many people had told me that it was much better than the Mortal Instruments series. And I loved the Mortal Instruments, so surely I would adore this, right?

Well, yes and no. It took me awhile to get used to the new characters. Of course, I loved the surprise appearances from my favorite character, Magnus Bane. It was very interesting to see him in this time setting after he had spoken a bit about his past in the Mortal Instruments series.

But surprisingly enough, I also loved the new characters! I couldn't really relate to Tessa - as she is much more fearless and selfless than I am! - but I admired her and thought she was a great main character. Her drive to search for her brother was so honorable and I loved that about her. I also loved how she was a fighter.

Will was a character I has heard a lot about from many people. I had high expectations for him, seeing as many fangirls were hoping to lay claim to his heart. And I enjoyed his character! I thought he was very witty and funny, and many lines of his had me chuckling. I really ship him and Tessa together, because I love their banter and the tension between them.

Then we have Jem. Sweet Jem. I felt so sorry for his situation, but at the same time he was so brave and he didn't seem to like talking about it much. I just love how quietly passionate he is. I hope we get to see more of him and Will's friendship throughout the trilogy because that was one of the highlights of the book to me.

And then we come to the villain/antagonist, the mysterious Magister. I love mystery books, and the fact that this already awesome book had such a mystery thrown in was so great! I kept guessing and being wrong, and then changing my guess. I did unfortunately get spoiled for who it is, but that didn't stop me from being a little surprised anyway.

Overall, this was such a great opening book. I loved how it had enough action and mystery and intrigue and romance to keep me on my toes and turning the pages like a mad woman. Yet, it wrapped up rather well, leaving just enough loose ends for the sequel.

Personally, I think Clockwork Angel is a better opening book to the trilogy than City of Bones was, and already I am in love with all these new characters and this new setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!