Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

A variation of this review can be found on goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/965047184?book_show_action=false

Title: Cress
Author: Marissa Meyer

Series: Book #3 in The Lunar Chronicles
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Fairytale Retelling
Pages: 550
Summary: "In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has"(as found on
Goodreads)

I actually finished this book a few days ago, but haven't actually gotten around to reviewing it yet. I had heard great things about this book, and I loved the first two books. So without further ado, here's my review.

Characters: The newest character in this third installment was Cress, a "Shell" (Lunar with no powers) who circles the Earth in a satellite. I loved how awkward and hopelessly romantic the character of Cress was, and her interactions with the others were so fun to read. The daydreams she thought up for herself were really entertaining and I could relate with.

Setting: I enjoyed how this book took a more adventurous survival theme and threw two of the characters out where they least expected it. Without revealing too much or spoiling anything, I can say that I thought Meyer really delivered Setting-wise.

Plot: It kept me guessing again, even when I wasn't trying to guess. It made me gasp out loud at several points. This book really helped propel the over all series forward, and there was not a page wasted.

Writing Style: I'm sure everyone knows my thoughts on Meyer's writing style already, as she is quickly escalating to be one of my favorite authors. As always, this book was even better than the last (okay, maybe I liked Scarlet a tiny bit better), but it was really fast-paced, and wonderful.

Final Notes and Thoughts: I can't believe I have to wait until February for Winter! I want to read the conclusion to the series right now! Even though I never want this series to end. If you have not read this series yet I highly reccomend it!

★★★★★
(5/5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!