Beautiful People is a meme for writers hosted by The Notebook Sisters and Sky of Further Up and Further In. Every month, the goal is to answer the 5 questions set out for you to answer about a character in your current WIP.
I know this is really late, I am so sorry, but I couldn't resist hopping in just two days before the month ends... um, whoops? Anyway, I've been so irresponsible with my writing lately, but here's the questions answered for Mallory, of Ominous Waters, my November NaNoWriMo Novel that I am currently editing.
1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it?
Mallory Acer. No middle name, just Mallory Acer.
I chose this name for her, because it really sort of fit her tough personality, while at the same time still not being too tough if that makes sense? I honestly don't know other than that. I liked the name is all.
2) How old are they, and when were they born?
She is 17, and was born 17 years before the novel took place. *nods* (In other words, I really don't know when her birthday was.)
3) Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!)
Greasy blonde hair that hasn't been washed for ages, and just an overall grimy appearance. She's a pirate, see, and really she doesn't pay much attention to her cleanliness, because a) she doesn't have the resources and b) she has better things to do (in her opinion)?
4) Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences.
As the Captain's daughter, she grew up used to bossing people around, and as a result, she can be a over-bearing and bossy throughout the story.
5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc?
To be honest, I don't listen to music much, so I wouldn't know? But a nice instrumental that sort of fits her is Black Blade, by an orchestra called Two Steps From Hell.
6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character?
Well, I'd say she fits with both Wrath and Pride. And Greed. So maybe she's flawed, but part of the storyline is her trying to cope with her flaws. Wrath rarely comes out, but she just sort of naturally lashes out at people, because that's how she was raised?
7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be?
I'd like to say Water as Water is very important to her, and she was raised/lives on the sea, but I feel like Water is too relaxing or calm for her. However, if she was Water she'd be the raging waves at sea.
If not Water, I'd say she fits under Fire. Fire is unpredictable and deadly, just like Mallory is.
8) What is their favourite word?
It's the name of her ship. Her ship is her home, and is very important to her.
9) Who’s one person they really miss? (It could be someone who’s passed away, or someone they’re not close to anymore, or someone who’s moved away.)
One person she misses is her father. Part of the storyline is how her Father was kidnapped by a rival pirate ship (whose captain is a sorcerer... and seeing as sorcerers and pirates are mortal enemies in this world, that just adds fuel to the fire...) and she spends the whole novel braving many different obstacles to get him back.
10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?
The sea, for all of those. The sight of the blue waves as the Damselfly parts them, the sound of the sea lapping against the side of the ship, the smell of salt hovering in the air as a present from the sea. So in other words, she is constantly reminded of him.
So that's all I really have for today. Again, I haven't been working on much lately, which really makes me mad at myself especially seeing all these posts about writing updates and productivity etc. and realizing that I should be writing too, but I just can't bring myself to do it because nothing is inspiring me and I have a bad case of "I-can't-write-anyway-I'll-never-be-an-author-why-do-I-try-anyway"s.
Until next time!