Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Cover trends I Like/Dislike

And it's Tuesday again, which means it is time for another Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Trends that you like or dislike on covers. I've decided to do 5 that I like and 5 that I dislike. These aren't really my top I guess, because while I always judge a book by it's cover, I guess just whatever pops out to me as pretty is what I like? But here's some general things:

                  Likes
  1. Minimalist Covers -- the simple designs around these covers really stand out to me, and I tend to find these covers really pretty when I see them at bookstores.
  2. Illustrations-- while I do find a few people or photo covers pretty, I tend to really shoot for the illustrations on covers, which might tie in with the minimalist part of the "Likes" section.
  3. Relevance-- when the cover actually fits in with what the book is about. It really annoys me when there's something on the cover and it is never even mentioned in the book.
  4. Font-- one of the things I also look at is the font on the cover. It is so annoying when it's a really pretty cover and then has this font that looks like it's just there as an afterthought.
  5. Color-- this matters because the color has to fit with the relevance and illustrations of the cover, I guess?
               Dislikes
  1. Faces-- I have no idea why, but I'm not a big fan of having only these big, blown up faces on the covers. They startle me, for one thing, and for another thing it's just annoying to me.
  2. Stickers-- when there are those stickers or badges or whatever that are on the cover that are just there and they don't come off because they're printed like that, and it gets in the way of the cover and augh! That probably made no sense, but they really anger me. (Hulk Smash!!)
  3. Messy-- messy or thrown together covers that look like they were done as a sort of last minute thing.

I can't really think of anything else, even after having this sit here for 2 hours and looking through my bookshelf...  but if I do, I will add it!
What are some of the things you like or dislike on covers?

          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!