Thursday, June 26, 2014

Review: Tsarina by J. Nelle Patrick

This review can also be found on my Goodreads Account: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/976614497?book_show_action=false

Title: Tsarina
Author: J Nelle Patrick
Genre: YA Historical Fiction, with romance and fantasy elements
Pages: 331
Summary: "Natalya knows a secret.
A magical Faberge egg glows within the walls of Russia's Winter Palace.
It holds a power rooted in the land and stolen from the mystics.
A power that promises a life of love for her and Alexei Romanov.
Power, that, in the right hands, can save her way of life.
But it's not in the right hands. (as found on
Goodreads)"
So, I was browsing the New Releases section of the library and stumbled upon this title. I had heard lots about (mostly mixed reviews), and so I decided to take it home with me and see how I liked it...

 
Characters:
It took me a little bit to get really connected with the characters, but once I did, the connections were strong. Also, the bonds and friendships, romance, etc. were very strong between the characters in a way that was completely believable. I loved the character’s growth over the course of the story, especially Natalya’s growth.
 
Setting:
This takes place in Imperial Russia, and as said in the Author’s Note near the end, a lot of these people were real. J. Nelle Patrick did her research on this book, and she really brought the complexity and the elegance of the time period to life.
 
Plot:
It was blunt, it was honest, and it was believable. I felt like everything that happened would really happen if these events really took place. There was a clear plot structure, and while I felt like the end was a little rushed, I still very much enjoyed seeing how the events played out. It made me almost cry, and it made me guess throughout the story.
 
Writing Style:
This was probably my favorite part of the book. I was deeply involved in the writing style, and it really pulled me away to the world. It was definitely something to get invested in if given awhile to read the book.
 
Final Notes/Thoughts:
I really enjoyed reading this book, so much so that I finished it in two days. It was a standalone (to the best of my knowledge), and as I’m trying not to start too many new series lately, that was really helpful on a personal note. The only note that I found a bit “eh” was the relationship between two of the characters, because I felt like it was really forced and awkward. However, there were a whole slew of other things that made this book so realistic, so truthful, so heart-wrenching. I really believed in this book while reading it. The good outweigh the bad of this book, and I find myself wanting to read more of the author’s work!

 

★★★★
(4/5 stars)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!