Thursday, June 12, 2014

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

A variation of this review can be found on Goodreads at:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/963017137?book_show_action=false


Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer

Series: Book #2 in The Lunar Chronicles
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Fairytale Retelling
Pages: 452
Summary:
"Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner."(as found on Goodreads)
 
Going into this book, I thought that nothing could top Meyer's first book in the series, Cinder. But boy, was I wrong. I actually think I liked this book more than I liked Cinder. Just overall, the read was even more fast-paced and exciting and *is speechless still*
 
Characters: In this second installment, we get introduced to three new characters. (More than three, actually. But just three new main characters). These are Thorne, a flirtatious 'criminal mastermind' (or so he likes to think), Wolf, who we don't know much about until the end, other than the fact that he's a street fighter with a strange, number tattoo. Finally we meet Scarlet Benoit, the star of the show, Little Red Riding Hood, and her determined, stubborn ways. I loved all these new characters. I cracked up at alot of Captain Carswell Thorne's lines, and his interaction with Cinder (yes, we do get more Cinder *cheers*, as well as Kai.), and Wolf and Scarlet really performed. Overall, I loved all these characters, though I thought Cinder and Scarlet were a little too close personality-wise, I still like both of them.
 
Setting: This time we travel to New France, in particular the little town of Rieux. All we really get to see of the direct setting is Scarlet's Grandmother's farm, with is a bit rundown now that her Grandmother is missing. Still, we get to learn more still about New Earth, and it kept me intrigued enough.
 
Plot: It kept me guessing until the very end and after-- keeping me hooked onto the series to read Cress. I loved all the plot twists and foreshadowing, and piecing together the puzzle pieces, and watching romance blossom. It was great, to make a long story short.
 
Writing Style:
I loved the way that Marissa Meyer really forged the bond through characters, and gave readers (or at least me) the feel that we were actually there with the characters, and experiencing what they were experiencing.
 
Final Notes and Thoughts:
I have to say, the action and adventure in this installment pleased me greatly. Adventure paired with a fairytale retelling and Marissa Meyer's brilliant writing is like a dream come true to me! This series is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
 
★★★★★
(5/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I reply to every message as soon as possible!